Friday, August 9, 2013

Parker’s thumb

Back in January I was helping Parker wash his hands and noticed his left thumb didn’t straighten when I was rubbing his hands together. At first I thought he was just holding it strangely, but after a closer look it became pretty clear he couldn’t straighten it if he wanted to. 
Thanks to Dr. Google it looked like he had a trigger thumb, so I made an appointment with our pediatrician expecting her to confirm it. She did and referred us to the same orthopedic we went to with his broken arm. We made it to the ortho a week later and his thumb was still stuck. The ortho put a splint on his hand to try and slowly force his finger to straighten (didn’t work) and keeping a brace on him was not an easy task. We were referred to a pediatric hand specialist at Primary Children’s Hospital. It took three weeks to get in to the doctor and by then Parker’s thumb had released on his own. We still went to the appointment, but since it wasn’t bothering him we decided to just watch it.
Over the next couple months Parker would occasional lock his thumb and freak out he would immediately be able to release it or it would stay that way for a week. We set up a return visit after one of the stuck for a week episodes and of course he was fine when we went to the appointment. At that appointment Parker was able to demonstrate how his thumb would click and lock then straighten again for the doctor.
Surgery was scheduled for July 31st, Parker and I arrived at Primarys at 8:30 in the morning and it was packed. After waiting for some seats to open up. I gave in and let Parker have the ipad. He insisted on wearing my “ear bugs” even though they were way to big and kept falling off. Yes, he insisted on wearing the beaded necklace to the hospital.

2013-07-31 08.59.32

They schedule procedures based on age, the youngest go first due to the no food after midnight rule. We had a fairly long wait until finally going back at 9:40 to get Parker changed for the procedure.

He was really happy and like the purple rocket pjs. I have to say the nurses and even the anesthesiologist were awesome with him. We headed to the OR, first Parker got to choose which car he wanted to ride in. They had an assortment of cozy coupes decorated in different colors and styles. I was busy trying to carry all of the stuff I brought to keep Parker entertained while we waited to take any pictures.  
Parker drove his way back to the OR and I went to the parents waiting room. It was only a 30 minute procedure, but with anesthesia I waited for about an hour before I was allowed to go back and see him. When I made it to him he was in a good mood and talking (nonstop) to the nurses. He gave me a big hug and we had a quick video call with Cody at work.
We had another hour waiting for Parker to be discharged, he enjoyed a popsicle and three slushees. Thank goodness he came out of anesthesia without any complications, but we found he does have a tape/adhesive sensitivity. The hives and rash faded  completely after about two hours.  He watched Cars on the ipad (with his bear Hugga) while enjoying the slushees, pink lemonade was his favorite flavor.


The incision is on the inside of his thumb and took just 4 stitches to close. It had to stay dressed for 3 days. Keeping the bandage on and keeping him calm for three long days was the hardest part of this whole adventure. There was a risk that if he fell and used his left hand to catch himself he’d pull the stitches out.
The bandage came off and he was back to normal and very happy that his thumb is now fixed. It’ll take about two weeks for the stitches to come out on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment