Wednesday, October 31, 2012

First couple days in California

I’m way behind in posting this, but we’ve been unusually busy with Halloween and just recovering from our vacation. We spent 10 nights in California, leaving at 12:30 am on the 17th and driving straight through to San Diego. The original plan was to leave early am on Saturday, but Cody’s schedule allowed for a few extra days and I took an extra day off to add 4 nights to our trip.
We normally are over planners, in a color coded spreadsheet kind of way and this time we just drove to San Diego. Our first stop was Mission Beach. It had been raining on and off for a few hours, but it had cleared up enough that we found a place to park and took the boys to the ocean. After a half hour the rain returned, by returned I mean soaked us completely. That’s when we decided to find a hotel.
The hotel wasn’t great, but it was fine for what we needed. We were only there to sleep and it was somewhere to store all our stuff. We checked in and got unpacked then attempted to make it back to the beach to watch the sunset. Sadly the crazy roads in San Diego (I have no idea how anyone navigates without GPS here) made us miss it.


We were disappointed that we didn’t make it because the clouds really made for a beautiful sight. We had a quick dinner and crashed for the night. Everyone was worn out from the long drive and we had big plans for the next day.
When we initially decided to go to San Diego the plan was to spend at least one day at the beach, but that left us one day left without plans. When I started looking for options I quickly found that the San Diego zoo has free admission for kids for the entire month of October, that made it an easy decision.
The zoo was amazing, our local zoo would easily fit into it five times over.


We saw the entire zoo in the one day. The boys were thrilled to see all of the animals and so were we. It was the first time any of us saw a panda bear and the boys loved it.


We ended up not taking a ton of pictures, the boys stayed in the strollers for a good portion of the day while we hiked 5 miles up and down some huge hills. While in the strollers the boys were very sweet to one another, lots of hand holding and chatting.


The highlight of the day was riding the Skyfari aerial tram. The boys were so excited they were even willing to hug while waiting in line.


The tram or flying buckets as the boys called them would only fit up to 4 people, so we let the boys choose who they wanted to ride with. I was a little worried that I was going to end up riding alone, they are all such daddies boys. Luckily Andrew happily chose me.


Cody said Parker and Nicholas were having a blast with him


They look pretty happy to me.

On the way out we stopped at a gift store and let the boys pick out one item. Everyone decided that they needed a panda bear. They had been asking for one since we went by the exhibit. The bears still don’t have names, but the boys insist on sleeping with them every night.

After the zoo we still had some daylight left and headed back to the beach to enjoy the great weather. We stayed on the paved sidewalk to avoid wet shoes and tracking a ton of sand into the van (again). We found a park like area where the boys played ring around the rosy with each other and found another child their age to play with along with re-enacting scenes from the Lorax. They now climb onto every rock or tree they can find and proudly announce “I am the Lorax and I speak for the trees.”


The sunset wasn’t as spectacular as the night before without any clouds in the sky, but Cody did capture one amazing shot with a well placed boat.

Taken at Mission Beach in San Diego. We are so glad we were able to add a few days there before Disneyland, it was so much fun introducing the boys to the beach.

It was another quick dinner and straight to bed for some very tired boys (and parents). The next day was the long awaited beach day and Old Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment