Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First hospital visit

Last Friday we took our first trip to the hospital since the boys were born. Luckily it was a scheduled visit. I was up at 5:45 and attempted to Get Nicholas out of the nursery without waking his brothers up. He had been scheduled for surgery at 7:30 to remove a small cyst-like growth on the back of his ear. I wasn’t successful on sneaking him out of the room, but according to Cody Andrew and Parker went back to sleep after we left until 8:45.
We made it to the hospital at about 7:15 to check in. After filling out the paper work we had almost no wait in the waiting room before being led back into his room. They provided a tiny hospital gown for him and it was adorable. I got some great pictures of him walking around in his gown and diaper. Luckily I was prepared with a bag full of toys since it took over an hour for the doctor and anesthesiologist to come talk to me.
Nicholas seem to be having a blast waiting, they brought a red wagon into the room so he could get used to it before they wheeled him away in it. I took a toy truck and a few balls from the ball pit. We spent easily a half hour where he would throw the balls at me trying to get them through the door. I played goalie. The room wasn’t large enough to shut the door with the wagon in it so we he also entertained the nurses and a few other patients.
It was very strange just having one of the boys with me. I hope that we can plan more one on one activities as the boys get older. At 8:45 I loaded Nicholas into the wagon and he was pulled down the hall laughing the whole way. About 2 hours later he was brought back to me very fussy. They had lost his towel. 
A substitute towel was quickly found, but more than anything he was just hungry. He inhaled two cartons of milk and a half a dozen fig newtons. After eating he was back to giggling at the nurses. They kept him for another hour just to make sure he was okay.
We made it home just in time for Nicholas to finish a snack with his brothers and start nap time. He went down for naptime with everyone else. The most entertaining comment for me while at the hospital was when one nurse asked another if they had ever seen such a cute little boy. Funny I have two others that look just like him. 
Hopefully this will be our only hospital visit for a long time. Nicholas has acted like nothing even happened. He hasn’t pulled at or messed with his ear since. He has one internal stitch that will dissolve and they used a superglue of sorts to seal the outside. He’ll probably have a small scar, but as far as good places to have scars the back of your ear isn’t bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment