Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The plague or how I spent Easter weekend

I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of Cody being sick at around 7 am. I’m not proud of it, but my first thought was “let it be food poisoning.” I’ve had food poisoning and I know it’s miserable, something I wouldn’t wish on anyone. There are however advantages to food poisoning. First it’s not contagious and second because I wasn’t sick it meant it was something Cody had eaten for lunch the previous day so the boys and I would be spared.
Cody went back to bed and I got up with the boys. The boys were their normal happy selves and everyone finished their bottles. We went down to the play room after bottles and about an hour later with no warning Andrew emptied his stomach contents onto the floor and in his lap. I thought it could be reflux (denial is a powerful tool), cleaned him and the mess up. Andrew wasn’t upset, didn’t have a temperature, and continued happily playing. I put the boys down to nap and heard the sound no parent wants to hear. Andrew had vomited in his crib. There goes the food poison theory.
For the rest of Saturday Cody stayed in bed with a fever and just miserable. Andrew continued to struggle to hold anything down. At this point Parker and Nicholas had no signs of illness, I thought maybe we’ll get off easy. Again denial has a powerful hold on me.
Sunday was a good day. Andrew had held down everything since the night before, no one else had been sick. Sunday night however we found that this stomach bug had a two phase attack. First came the vomiting then came the diaper blowouts. Just when I thought we were almost through the nastiness Monday morning hit.
Both Parker and Nicholas vomited in their cribs sometime between 3 am and 7 am. So they were quickly bathed and bedding changed. It is now Tuesday afternoon and I’ve lost count of how many sheets and pjs we’ve gone through. The boys have still been generally in good moods, but very tired.
I’ve somehow managed to not be affected by this nasty bug, hopefully I’ll dodge the bullet and by tomorrow (fingers crossed) we’ll be back to normal.

So I can see scenes like this around the house:


From back to front Nicholas, Andrew, Parker

2 comments:

  1. My family had the same bug last weekend. It is just horrible. I hope you get away with not catching it. My eldest daughter never got. My 15 month old is still battling the blow-outs. My best of luck to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I'm so sorry, you must be exhausted. Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete