Saturday, May 16, 2009

A week of firsts

We made it through a week with the boys at home and had many firsts. First late night feedings, first bath time, first time feeding the boys at the same time with no help (meaning it only takes one of us), first doctors appointment and the first time we realized just how much laundry an infant can produce in a 24 hour period.

Cody and I feel pretty lucky that the boys left the hospital on a great feeding schedule. They eat every three hours, you can almost set the clock by it. We have feedings down to a system. One of us stumbles out of bed and gets bottles warming, the other gets burp cloths and boppy pillows set up. Everyone eats at the same time; two propped and one in my lap. Cody changes one diaper, I change one and gather bottles to be washed while Cody changes the last diaper and gets the boys swaddled and back into bed. The whole process takes about 40 minutes from start to finish.
On Monday the boys had their first wellness check-up. They all did great. Andrew had gained 15 ounces, Parker 12 ounces and Nicholas 11 ounces. We have a follow up for weight and to repeat Parker and Nick's car seat test next week. It also gave us a glimpse at the type of attention we are going to get from the public when traveling with triplets. Cody carried Parker and Nick into the office while I had Andrew in his carseat. We heard a few "look twins" comments then everyone noticed that the car seat I was carrying wasn't empty. Every jaw in the room dropped as we were quickly ushered into the back with the help of two nurses. On the way out of the office a nurse from another office saw us walking out and followed us back to the car asking questions the whole way and continued asking while we loaded the boys into the van. I can't wait to see responses to the stroller.

The boys had their first bath at home and they didn't enjoy it to put in mildly. It just broke my heart to hear the screaming from the second water touched them until I had them wrapped in a towel. I can't wait until they are old enough to play in the tub when we can make it fun or at least not traumatizing.

Finally there has been laundry, lots and lots of laundry. From piles of onsies, huge stacks of burp clothes, blankets and tiny socks. Normally that much laundry would sending me running for the hills. However, Grandma Sims volunteered to do all of the boys laundry. Every afternoon she comes to help with a feeding, snuggles each of the boys and delivers clean clothes. She knows where we keep all of the boys items and puts them away. Even taking the time to rotate the clean items to the bottom of the drawers so that each item gets even wear.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for directly your DIS friends to your family blog Lisa, it has been a treat to read. This post made me vaklemp for you guys and all that you have to go through. What troupers you both are. Your boys will surely see the love and devotion you had for them right from the get go. Your feeding system etc.. seems to work well for you. I love the photo of the boys with the boppy pillows. Was this system set up by the hospital staff or did you guys come up with it yourselves??

    I am looking forward to the rest of your story...