Sunday, April 19, 2009

Today's post is brought to you by Cholestasis

Friday night my arms started to itch a little, I figured it was just dry skin since the hospital doesn't have soft water. Even with copious amounts of lotion I kept itching. Saturday morning the itch had spread to include my legs. After a blood test I was diagnosed with cholestasis an uncommon (1 or 2 in a 1000 pregnancies) condition where the liver doesn't process sufficient levels of bile salt which then enters the blood stream and causes itching.

There is no rash or anything noticeable, but it feels like I'm covered in mosquito bites from my shoulders to my wrists and hips to my ankles. They started medication for it which according to the doctor takes about 3 days to be fully effective. To treat the itching they have been giving me shots of a medication called Newbane. It controls the itching completely, but also includes a sedative and pain medication. So even if I did still itch I am too looped to care. As an added bonus it's letting me sleep at night, which has been a welcome change.

Delivery is set for Friday at 9 am unless of course something changes. At this point my Dr. has also said that at any time I can throw in the towel and they'll deliver me. I'd really like to make it to 35 weeks so that there is a chance to skip the NICU and go straight to the step down nursery. We may have take home babies.

Today was a growth scan the boys have sure grown. They had a hard time getting images but they are now estimated at 5 lbs 4 oz, 5 lbs 3 oz, and 5 lbs 12 oz. They let me know that they are probably very off on baby C as they couldn't get a clear shot of him (my ribs were in the way) and they didn't get a measurement of his femur. Either way everyone being over 5 lbs is wonderful news.

Four more sleeps and we get to meet the boys!

1 comment:

  1. FRIDAY!!!That's so soon! I can't believe it's gone by so fast. My prayers will be with you Friday and I hope everything goes well. I can't wait to see some pictures!

    ReplyDelete